Tuesday, May 16, 2017

big nines-a quilt block tutorial

I get asked all the time, "If you always make scrap quilts, where do all the scraps come from?" That's a great question. Many people pass along their scraps to me, and I enjoy sewing them up. The other part of that answer is, I DO make quilts from the stash from time to time. Here's the start of one! As much as I love tiny pieces and sewing up scraps, sometimes a "palette cleanser" quilt is in order. This is a super easy block that, while simple, is still big on impact.
This is directly opposite from my mini nines quilt. This block will finish at 16"!! (color is Kona peapod.)

I thought I would share the measurements for the quilt block, in case you want to try one of your own. I bet you could whip one up in under 30 minutes! I didn't time myself making just one block, but I wish I would have.

For each block, you will need a fat quarter of background fabric and a 2 1/2" x 12 1/2" strip of white fabric. (If you are using yardage, you will need 1/3 yard of each color, and you will have some scraps leftover.)
From the white:
Cut 5 squares 2 1/2" x 2 1/2"

From the solid color:
Cut 2 pieces 5 1/2" x 16 1/2"
Cut 2 pieces 5 1/2" x 6 1/2"
Cut 4 squares 2 1/2" x 2 1/2"
(Cut the largest pieces first.)
 Sew 2 1/2" squares together into three strips, as shown. Press seams toward the darker fabric.
Sew 3 strips together to make a 9 patch block. Press seams toward the center strip of the block. (This will prevent as much shadowing as possible without pressing the seams open.) The block should measure 6 1/2" unfinished.
Sew the 5 1/2" x 6 1/2" pieces to either side of the 9 patch block. Press seams toward the outside of the block.
Sew the 5 1/2" x 16 1/2" pieces of fabric to the top and the bottom. Press seams toward the outside of the block. The block should measure 16 1/2" unfinished.

Easier than pie! :)
When I was making the blocks this morning, it occurred to me that it would be fun to mix up the colors of the 9 patch and the borders. It would produce a fun, but different, look. So many possibilities!

11 comments:

Julierose said...

Oh this is so restful on the eyes...I mostly make scrappy quilts with patterned fabrics, this is really a change...love it hugs, Julierose

Di~ said...

I'm surprised you didn't do a :) after you said 'scraps leftover' haha :)

Sue said...

I love the simplicity of this block - I'll be saving this!

Sam said...

Love this block. May try it with a print in the 9 patch.

claudia said...

I love it! I want to try one...maybe even bigger!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Wondering how you plan to set the blocks together. Will it be straight set or on point? Will stay tuned to find out!

Rivah Rats Quilting said...

Love your 9 patch!! Added it to my long to-do list!

Hannah S. said...

That's so cool! I always worried that a big sashing-like thing around a block would make the block hide, but you've converted me. Could it work well with prints, do you think?

JoAnne in southern California said...

Beautiful! I love it! This is just what I needed to see to get me out of my six month sewing slump! I will make one today, thank you so much!

stamperwithdayjob said...

Love this block and the quilt you made with the blocks. Thank you for the tutorial

Dr Purva Pius said...

My name is.Mrs.Anna Daniel. I live in Ukraine i am a happy woman today? i need to use this time to tell all people how i got my loan from this honest and God fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $84,000 please contact him. if you also need a loan without any problem he name is Dr Purva Pius email (urgentloan22@gmail.com) tell him that is Mrs.Anna Daniel that refer you to he contact Email (urgentloan22@gmail.com)